0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Delicious layered snack cake consisting of white cake with mini chocolate chips, a rich vanilla frosting, and a top layer of semi-sweet chocolate. This is one of my husband's favorite desserts - he's from Newfoundland, I'm from Ohio, and I'd never heard of it before we met! This is the recipe (slightly modified by me) that his mother gave me."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 374
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9-inch square cake pan.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks.
- Beat unsalted butter and white sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Beat milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into flour mixture; fold in beaten egg whites and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Beat 1/3 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and the pinch of salt together with an electric mixer until smooth; spread on the cooled cake.
- Melt chocolate squares with 2 tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl, about 30 seconds on High. Allow chocolate mixture to cool slightly, then spread chocolate carefully over iced cake. Refrigerate cake until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- This recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. Learn more about egg safety from our article, Making Your Eggs Safe.
- Cook's Note:
- These are best if stored in the refrigerator for as long as they last, which, around here, is not long at all!
Per Serving: 374 calories; 20.3 46.8 3.8 74 342 Full nutrition