Bunuelos de Espinaca (Spinach Fritters)
Ingredients35 m servings 238 cals
- Whisk flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Mix spinach and onion together in a separate bowl. Add milk and eggs to spinach mixture; mix well. Stir flour mixture into spinach mixture until batter is evenly combined.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Oil is ready to use with a drop of spinach batter added to the oil bubbles immediately.
- Drop batter, about 1 tablespoon per fritter, into the hot oil; fry until outside edges of fritters are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- Cook's Note:
- Dehydrated minced onion (1 1/2 teaspoons) can be substituted for the raw onion if desired.
- I used unrefined virgin coconut oil, which made for lighter fritters that are free from any excess grease that didn't get blotted out.
- Due to cutting back on gluten, I used a mixture of regular and brown rice flours with a pinch of xanthan gum for the 3/4 cup flour. This did not affect the texture or taste in my opinion.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 238 calories; 17.2 g fat; 15.8 g carbohydrates; 6.2 g protein; 64 mg cholesterol; 302 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I only needed about 3 tbsp. of liquid. I used a combination of soy milk and water. I think they would have been too watery if I added the whole amount of milk the recipe calls for. They came out...