German New Year Pretzel
Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 255 cals
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup milk in a bowl; add 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Stir yeast mixture and 2 1/4 cups flour together in a bowl until dough is dry and clumpy. Allow dough to rise for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk, butter, egg, lemon zest, and salt to dough until evenly mixed.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as needed, until dough is elastic. Cover bowl with a clean damp towel or plastic wrap and allow dough to rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (199 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Gently knead dough; roll into a long rope on the prepared baking sheet and twist into a pretzel shape. Cover dough with a clean towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise for 15 minutes more.
- Brush egg yolk over dough and sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar over egg yolk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 255 calories; 8.7 g fat; 37.2 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 68 mg cholesterol; 71 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I used orange zest instead of lemon, but wasn't thrilled with the crust of the pretzel. If I were to spend the time making these again, I might try a 350 oven with a tray of water in the bottom...