Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 204
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour water in baking dish and place halved squash cut-sides down in the dish.
- Bake squash in preheated oven until a fork pierces the skin very easily, about 45 minutes. Let squash cook while preparing remainder of recipe.
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Pour diced tomatoes over the onion mixture; season with basil. Place a cover on the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the tomatoes are soft, about 30 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Once squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to strip flesh from the skin in strands. Stir squash and Parmesan cheese into tomato mixture. Replace cover on skillet and cook until squash is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the dish to serve.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 204 calories; 12.5 22.4 5.2 20 1230 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 34
I loved this idea and glad it was shared! I used 6 cloves garlic (I love garlic) and 6 green onions (all I had on hand). I didn't use any butter while sauting, merely a tablespoon of olive oil...
This was great! Even my husband liked it and he doesn't like squash! I did spice it up by using diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. I sautéed chopped celery with the o...
The tomato sauce needed some tweaking. I added a can of tomato paste for sweetness and body. I added 1/8 tsp. of chili flakes for some bite. I used shredded Parmesan, Romano and Asiago instead o...
I liked the recipe a lot. The flavor was great, I also added a bit more garlic and some oregano to give it an extra kick. It makes a lot of spaghetti which I was not prepared for but seems to ke...
Some friends gave us a speghetti squash, We never had it before. I used this recipe today. WOW preffer this over pasta noodles ! The squash was a little crunchy, not sure if thats normal or not ...
I used diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, and added grilled chicken cubes and hot sauce
Perfect, nothing to change. I had a can of fire roasted toms + green chilies...that worked just fine.
OMG, delicious! I, too, added a bit more garlic and used fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Split the recipe to use vege chicken and regular chicken as well. So easy and incredibly delicious!