Chef John's Tiramisu
Ingredients8 h 35 m servings 774
- Stir espresso and 2 tablespoons Marsala wine together in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk egg yolks, 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon Marsala wine together in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, until thick, pale yellow, and creamy, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture, mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl until completely smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks. Gently stir and fold 1/2 the egg whites into egg yolk mixture; fold in remaining 1/2 egg whites.
- Place 1 heaping spoonful mascarpone mixture into a single-serving cup or glass. Dip 2 ladyfinger cookie halves briefly in espresso mixture and turn 3 to 4 times to coat. Place cookie halves in the bottom of the glass on top of mascarpone.
- Fill the glass halfway with mascarpone mixture. Dip 5 ladyfinger halves in the espresso mixture and place vertically along the inside of the glass, dipping and placing more ladyfinger halves as necessary to fit the glass. Place 2 dipped ladyfinger halves horizontally on top of the mascarpone mixture. Fill glass to the top with mascarpone mixture. Repeat for the second serving glass.
- Wrap both glasses in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove plastic wrap and dust tops with cocoa powder and grated chocolate.
- This recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. Learn more about egg safety from our article, Making Your Eggs Safe.
Per Serving: 774 calories; 51.7 56.8 19.2 413 285 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
This recipe was very good, but the mascarpone mixture was bumpy, and had a gritty texture. I followed the instructions to the tee, but I don't know what I did wrong! Please tell me if you know, ...
Thank you, Chef John, from one Chef to another, for posting a PROPER Tiramisu recipe! I'm rather sick of all the "modern" frou-frou imposters with various liqueurs and such masquerading as the ...
This turned out very good! I ended up making my own "espresso" with instant coffee and it still worked. Make sure not to dip the ladyfingers in the coffee mixture for more than a few seconds, as...
Spot on! Restaurant grade tiramisu. Cream is pretty strong with only mascarpone cheese (80% fat), next time I will use part mascarpone, part sour cream or something.
Made it for tonight potluck. Big hit. Everyone loves it. Thanks chef John for a good recipe as always!!!
Hi, thank you, this recipe is perfect! I have been making Sophia Loren's recipe (available online) for many years, but this is way better. The only thing I do differently is to use an electric ...
I have made other tiramisu recipes but this one is definitely the best! Followed the recipe exactly. So rich and decadent but light at the same time. This will be my go-to recipe.