Yeast Pancakes from Transylvania
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 316
- Pour flour into a large bowl; slowly stir milk into flour. Add whisked eggs, butter, and oil and mix to form a smooth pancake batter. Stir vanilla extract, yeast, and salt into batter. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, set bowl in a warm place, and let rise until doubled in volume, 1 to 3 hours.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by 1/4-cup onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cook's Notes
- You can scale up the recipe (use a bigger bowl, too) and keep them in the refrigerator for several days and warm them up in a toaster oven to make a great quick breakfast for kids before going to school.
- The recipe and ingredients can be modified to preference; you can use some buttermilk, use a mix of regular and whole grain flour, etc. The main difference between this type of pancakes and the typical pancakes is the replacement of baking powder by yeast! Experiment with your favorite recipe!
- Do not add too much sugar in the mix or the batter will overflow; you can add 1 tablespoon but I suggest trying first without.
Per Serving: 316 calories; 10.8 43.3 10 57 405 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Excellent, not too sweet at all, which means any toppings work. I had to add a little extra flour to get the batter thick enough for thicker pancakes.
OMG these pancakes are the BEST I EVER MADE that's the direct comment from my husband He requests that I make these every Sunday sometimes he asks me to make these for dinner during the week. ...
These pancakes were delicious, but next time I make them I will add more flour as they were quite thin.