Yeast Pancakes from Transylvania
"Pretty much all pancake recipes use baking soda, which does give them a distinctive taste, plus they are usually good only fresh off the griddle. For a new type of pancakes, try this recipe that uses yeast instead of bicarbonate. It takes a bit longer to get the batter ready. Ever since my mother, who is from Romania, said 'Why do you add bicarbonate in this? Let me make my good old recipe with yeast!', we abandoned the other recipes and the kids only want this type of pancakes. One could see this as a combination between a pancake, a crepe, or a naan bread."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 316 cals
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Pour flour into a large bowl; slowly stir milk into flour. Add whisked eggs, butter, and oil and mix to form a smooth pancake batter. Stir vanilla extract, yeast, and salt into batter. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, set bowl in a warm place, and let rise until doubled in volume, 1 to 3 hours.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by 1/4-cup onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cook's Notes
- You can scale up the recipe (use a bigger bowl, too) and keep them in the refrigerator for several days and warm them up in a toaster oven to make a great quick breakfast for kids before going to school.
- The recipe and ingredients can be modified to preference; you can use some buttermilk, use a mix of regular and whole grain flour, etc. The main difference between this type of pancakes and the typical pancakes is the replacement of baking powder by yeast! Experiment with your favorite recipe!
- Do not add too much sugar in the mix or the batter will overflow; you can add 1 tablespoon but I suggest trying first without.
Per Serving: 316 calories; 10.8 g fat; 43.3 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 57 mg cholesterol; 405 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
These pancakes were delicious, but next time I make them I will add more flour as they were quite thin.