James Westfall's Applesauce Cake
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 543
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a fluted cake pan with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and shortening together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy; beat in eggs until incorporated.
- Combine applesauce, water, and baking soda in a saucepan over medium heat; stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir applesauce mixture into shortening mixture; add vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and ground cloves together in a bowl. Gradually stir applesauce mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and transfer cake to a plate.
- Cook's Note:
- For moister raisins and to keep them from over-browning, soak in water and/or vanilla extract for about 15 minutes before adding to cake batter. Also, my mother always lined the bottom of the Bundt® pan with wax paper to keep bottom from over-browning.
Per Serving: 543 calories; 18.4 90.9 7.3 62 464 Full nutrition