Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips
Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 177 cals
- Put potato slices in a large bowl. Pour enough cold water over the potatoes to cover completely. Soak potatoes, gently agitating every 10 minutes, for 30 minutes; drain.
- Spread potatoes slices onto paper towel; pat dry with more paper towels.
- Mix vinegar and 1 cup cold water in the large bowl; add potatoes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, stir gently, and continue chilling at least 30 minutes more.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Working in batches, use a slotted spoon to remove potato slices from vinegar mixture and gently add to the hot oil. Fry potatoes until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Remove chips to a bowl lined with paper towel to drain.
- Use the paper towel to lift chips from the bowl and put them into a separate bowl; season with salt. Spread the salted chips onto paper towel to further dry and cool completely.
- Cook's Note:
- I don't own a deep fryer, so I convert my cast-iron Dutch oven to the purpose. You can use any large pot for the fryer.
- Try adding different spices: seasoned salt, dill, and vinegar. The possibilities are virtually endless.
- The longer you soak the potatoes the more flavor they will absorb.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the vinegar. The actual amount of the vinegar consumed will vary.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 177 calories; 7.5 g fat; 24.8 g carbohydrates; 2.9 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 11 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
5 Stars for flavor but 1 Star for instructions / method. My concern is step 5 - "Working in batches, use a slotted spoon to remove potato slices from vinegar mixture and gently add to the hot ...