Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 328
- Heat oil in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Cook about half the beef in hot oil until completely browned, about 5 minutes. Remove beef with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in the oil remaining in the pot until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Return beef to the pot; add tomato paste and stir to coat beef in paste. Stir oregano and bay leaves into the beef mixture; season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook and stir the mixture just until the oregano is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour beef broth into the pot, cover the pot, and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer liquid until the beef is very tender, about 90 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook fideo in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Stir carrot and zucchini into the liquid; cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Season again with kosher salt and pepper. Stir fideo into the broth; cook until the noodles are hot, about 1 minute.
Per Serving: 328 calories; 15.9 25 21.2 50 759 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Delicious! I made this exactly as written and only had to add additional salt before serving. I found the steps to be a little out of order. I recommend adding in the carrot and zucchini at the...
We really enjoyed this, including picky husband! I used a regular white onion and mini spaghetti instead and it turned out great. I followed the suggestions from another reviewer...I simmered ...
Not even remotely close to how the Peruvians make it. Definitely not authentic. & much fattier.