Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 112
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 cups)
- Heat bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until fat begins to render, about 2 minutes; stir in onions, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir mixture until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into bacon mixture; stir in okra and spinach. Bring soup to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes. Season with hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Blend soup until smooth using an immersion blender. Alternatively, pour soup into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
- Return soup to a simmer in saucepan over low heat; stir in crab. Simmer until crab is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Chicken broth can be substituted for water; 2 slices of smoked ham can be substituted for bacon.
- This can be spiced up with Caribbean green seasoning and more hot sauce.
- I have made this soup with lots of fresh spinach, and added a zucchini.
Per Serving: 112 calories; 1.9 12.5 12.8 40 234 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This was tasty. Had a very strong veggie flavor which I liked. It is very thick so some extra stock might be needed. I did need more hot sauce..Do add the crab.I tried it with and without and it...