Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 354 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Beat 1/3 cup superfine sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs yolks and beat well; beat in almond extract. Stir ground almonds and flour into butter mixture until mixture has a thick paste-like consistency.
- Cut puff pastry into 8 equal pieces. Place 1 tablespoon almond mixture in the lower center of each piece. Fold top of puff pastry down over the filling and press edges together to seal. Make three 1/2-inch cuts equal lengths apart on the bottom edge to make the "claws". Transfer pastries to a baking sheet.
- Whisk egg and water together in a bowl. Brush each bear claw with egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons superfine sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- To make ground almonds, freeze whole almonds, then place in a food processor and grind in short bursts. Do not over process or allow them to get warm, otherwise they will turn into almond butter.
Per Serving: 354 calories; 22.3 g fat; 30.3 g carbohydrates; 9.7 g protein; 90 mg cholesterol; 88 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
What a lovely recipe! I was too lazy to make the traditional "bear claw" shape- I just made ravioli-looking things- but they were beautiful to look at anyway and tasty. I went heavy on the almo...