Chunky Red Sauce with Ground Italian Sausage
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 191 cals
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage and garlic in hot oil until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer sausage and garlic to a plate using a slotted spoon, leaving any drippings in the saucepan.
- Saute onion, green pepper, sweet pepper, and salt in the same saucepan until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and continue cooking until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes more. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Stir sausage, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, black pepper, and red pepper flakes into onion-zucchini mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend and sauce is thickened, about 2 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute crushed dried rosemary for the chopped dried rosemary.
- This can also be a good slow cooker sauce, instead of simmering on the stove for 2 hours. Cook in a slow cooker on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- To avoid burned-crazy-to-get-off sides, spray inside of crock with olive oil-flavored cooking spray.
Per Serving: 191 calories; 10.4 g fat; 16.8 g carbohydrates; 9.4 g protein; 18 mg cholesterol; 1093 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I used this recipe for the sauce in my Chicago Pizza Bowl . The only thing I changed was I added 1/3 cup of a dry red wine (like a Cabernet Sauvignon)after the first hour of simmering. It was a...