Chunky Red Sauce with Ground Italian Sausage
"This is a basic chunky red sauce with Italian sausage and lots of veggies! Great for lasagna or your favorite pasta dish! Also, if you want the benefit of the veggies, but have picky eaters at your table, you can put it all in the food processor and they will never know the difference! I speak from experience!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 191
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage and garlic in hot oil until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer sausage and garlic to a plate using a slotted spoon, leaving any drippings in the saucepan.
- Saute onion, green pepper, sweet pepper, and salt in the same saucepan until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and continue cooking until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes more. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Stir sausage, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, black pepper, and red pepper flakes into onion-zucchini mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend and sauce is thickened, about 2 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute crushed dried rosemary for the chopped dried rosemary.
- This can also be a good slow cooker sauce, instead of simmering on the stove for 2 hours. Cook in a slow cooker on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- To avoid burned-crazy-to-get-off sides, spray inside of crock with olive oil-flavored cooking spray.
Per Serving: 191 calories; 10.4 16.8 9.4 18 1093 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I used this recipe for the sauce in my Chicago Pizza Bowl . The only thing I changed was I added 1/3 cup of a dry red wine (like a Cabernet Sauvignon)after the first hour of simmering. It was a...