Mel's Brown Pizza Sauce
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 201
- Working in batches, puree onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a food processor until smooth, adding more chicken broth as necessary.
- Stir vegetable puree and remaining chicken broth together in large pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors blend, about 45 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, sugar, celery salt, basil, onion powder, and seasoned salt into broth mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors blend, about 45 minutes more.
- Whisk oil and flour into tomato mixture until pizza sauce is smooth.
- Cook's Notes:
- For a spicier sauce add more pepper; for a sweeter sauce add more sugar.
- Freeze the sauce by dividing it into medium freezer bags using 1 cup of sauce per bag. To re-heat frozen sauce, heat in small sauce pan, whisking occasionally.
Per Serving: 201 calories; 14.4 17.1 3.4 3 1492 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I make this sauce on a regular basis. Delish. A taste of home ;)
There is way too much salt in this recipe. The colour is completely wrong. This sauce comes out a fairly bright red, so there's definitely too much tomato paste. I'm making another batch tonight...