Lovely Lisa's Sweet and Salty Caramel Popcorn
Ingredients50 m servings 266
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Measure baking soda and vanilla extract into separate small bowls; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan; add popcorn, cover, and cook, shaking often, until fully popped, about 5 minutes. Transfer popcorn to a large roasting pan using a strainer or your hands, leaving unpopped kernels in the saucepan. Distribute chopped licorice and broken pretzels evenly over popcorn.
- Bring the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and cream of tartar to a boil in a heavy pot, stirring constantly. Place a candy thermometer into the caramel mixture, and continue boiling, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 265 degrees F (129 degrees C), about 10 minutes.
- Remove caramel from heat. Stir vanilla and baking soda into the caramel; it will foam and rise slightly. Pour hot caramel over popcorn mixture, stirring gently to coat evenly. Spread the popcorn mixture loosely onto the prepared baking sheets. Season to taste with sea salt; set aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Break popcorn mixture into chunks. Store in airtight bags or containers.
- Cook's Note:
- I packaged 6 gift bags (230 grams or about 5 cups each) with some left over for sampling!
- Editor's Note:
- You may want to pop the popcorn in batches. 1/4 cup unpopped kernels yields about 2 quarts of popped popcorn.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 266 calories; 12.5 38.8 1.6 31 249 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Interesting! I didn't have a candy thermometer so I had to wing it w/the caramel. While mine didn't look/coat the best, it tasted good. The licorice and pretzels add an interesting twist to t...
So simple and fun to make... and VERY tasty!! Hard to stop eating!!