Ethiopian Cabbage and Potato Dish (Atkilt)
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 336
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute carrots in hot oil until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add onion; saute until onion is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Season carrot mixture with turmeric, cumin, pepper, and ground ginger; stir and let the seasonings toast until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Stir cabbage and garlic into the carrot mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes into the cabbage mixture. Pour water into the pot and stir. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer, stirring every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You can reduce the final cooking time by cutting the potatoes smaller.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 336 calories; 18.7 40.5 5.8 0 673 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
I love this recipe and have made it quite a few times now. A few tips... 1. The amount of water sounds small, but it's genuinely all you need for this stew-y dish; if you like a more soupy textu...
This was excellent. I don't know if I would have ever thought of mixing these ingredients. I did add about twice the amount of Tumeric and Cumin. My husband and I have become quite a lover of in...
I added green beans, white beans, garam Marsala,and dash of cayenne. I also added more liquid: water and abt 1/3 c V8 I think one reason mine was so dry is that I used only a little bit of oli...
My husband and I loved this dish. I didn't have any ginger and it still turned out delicious. I did use more water during cooking. I have recommended this to a friend and I will definitely be ma...
This was good and easy! Four stars, because it is a tad bland. We didn't have carrots, so I used a cup of garbanzo beans, and I also didn't have ginger so I just left it out. Was very good and ...
I don't like cooked cabbage but this recipe changed my mind. It is truly delicious.
I cover when cooking on medium low. That keeps the water from evaporating. This is very good even though I usually don't have carrots.
Very good dish kids and husband loved it. I added a bit more turmeric and cumin. Also added fresh ginger not ground ginger. I think the next time I make this dish that sweet peas will be added f...