Potato, Mushroom, and Black Bean Soup
made it | 0 reviews |
"Simple, healthy soup with no necessary extra salt, sugar, oils, or processed food or what not. I had the idea for the recipe while reading Dr. Neil Fuhrman's book 'Eat to Live,' where he suggested making your own tomato paste with tomatoes, garlic, and onions; I figured that'd make an excellent soup base! It also goes wonderfully with fresh biscuits."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 121 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Puree tomatoes in a food processor.
- Pour pureed tomatoes into a large pot and place over medium heat. Stir onion, garlic, basil, chives, orange zest, and lemon zest into the tomatoes; cook at a simmer until slightly frothy, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes, mushrooms, black beans, and salt into the tomato mixture; continue simmering until the potatoes are tender, at least 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can leave the tomatoes semi-chunky if you prefer them that way for texture.
- For a more southwestern flair, replace basil and chives with fresh cilantro, replace orange and lemon zest with lime zest, and add some green chiles, jalapeno peppers, or whatever other hot chile pepper you like.
Per Serving: 121 calories; 0.5 g fat; 24.8 g carbohydrates; 5.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 769 mg sodium. Full nutrition