Ingredients1 h 12 m servings 66
- Place cold eggs from refrigerator into a large pot and add enough cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Place over high heat, bring to a simmer, and cover pot once eggs start to move around. Remove from heat and let stand for 17 minutes.
- Drain hot water from pan, cover with lid, and shake pot to lightly crack eggs. Fill pot with cold water, pour off cold water, and refill with more cold water. Let eggs stand in water until cold. Peel eggs and cut in half lengthwise.
- Separate yolks from egg halves; place yolks into a mixing bowl.
- Place crab meat onto a plate and separate into 2 equal portions, one containing the small bits and one containing the attractive larger pink chunks. Reserve portion containing larger chunks.
- Chop the portion of crab meat with the smaller chunks; add to egg yolks. Mash yolks with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, tarragon, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Transfer yolk mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium tip. Pipe crab filling into cavities of egg halves.
- Chop largest crab pieces and place remaining crabmeat into a small bowl. Lightly stir in lemon zest, creme fraiche, Aleppo pepper, and cayenne pepper with a fork. Taste and adjust salt. If mixture seems dry, stir in more creme fraiche. Top each stuffed egg with a generous pinch of crab mixture.
- Sprinkle each deviled egg with a pinch of chives and a light dusting of cayenne pepper. Transfer eggs to a serving platter; refrigerate until serving time.
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute lobster or caviar for the crab.
Per Serving: 66 calories; 5.4 0.6 3.7 97 84 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
This one is very good, except, we forget the peppers. One or two cranks on the pepper mill for course ground black pepper is all you really need. Most of Chef John's recipes always call for ho...
OhMyGawsh Good. Used fresh Dungeness crab. Used sour cream rather than creme fraiche and smoked paprika rather than Aleppo. Filling absolutely delicious. The crab salad topping was too spicy - I...
Very good! I will serve it for party,card games many the things.
But you are so ate up with BS. For instance, boil your eggs, timing them when the water first start to boil, for 7 minutes. Then immediately pour out the water and run them under cold water to...
This is a solid devils egg recipe. I actually did not make the final touch and it was still excellent. I'd recommend this recipe to anyone. I'll be making this again.