Vidalia® Onion Straws (Onion Strings)
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 262
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl. Place onion slices into buttermilk, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika together in a bowl. Working in batches, remove onions from buttermilk, letting any excess liquid drip off, place onions in flour mixture and toss to coat. Shake any excess flour mixture off onions.
- Cook onion rings in the preheated oil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer rings with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 2 cups of 2% milk with 2 teaspoons of white vinegar for the buttermilk.
Per Serving: 262 calories; 12 32.9 6 2 939 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
these turned out really good. however I did not have enough black pepper or any cayenne so I used a bit of crushed red pepper, used seasoning salt instead & added Parmesan cheese. I complete...
Loved these! I pretty much went exactly by the recipe except used milk with a little vinegar added for the buttermilk, since I didn't have any. Also I added a bit of garlic powder to the bread...
Fantastic! Works for mushrooms too! The thinner the slices, the more flour mixture you will need. One suggestion: remove onions from buttermilk and let come to room temperature so that you ar...
It was good, although I did end up substituting some spices. All in all, I would recommend not putting in nearly so much salt as the recipe calls for, because it leaves a very salty aftertaste.
Made these tonight for ds and myself. Followed the recipe as written as far as the ingredients go. The only thing I did differently was to give them a second dip in the buttermilk and a second ...
Did not have any cornmeal, but these turned out great. Served them up at a July 4th party and they were a big hit.