Ingredients8 h 40 m servings 114
- Combine boiling water and baking soda together in a large bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Stir flour, buttermilk, bran cereal, bran flakes, walnuts, sugar, oil, butter, eggs, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg into water-baking soda mixture until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate muffin batter for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 60 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin cups 1/2 full.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can switch out the spices, I added what our family likes. You can add fresh berries, or chopped apples are yummy as well. This makes a large batch that allows you to bake a small batch for 3 to 4 days.
- You can split this recipe no problem.
Per Serving: 114 calories; 5.3 14.8 2.6 17 198 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
These muffins are delicious Have been making them since the late 70's. I was given the recipe by a doctor in the state of Washington so don't agree with the title Mormon Muffins. None the less t...
Have been making a similar recipe without the flakes since the 70's also. At that time we were told you could refrigerate the recipe for up to six weeks. Think the acidic buttermilk keeps it f...