Ingredients7 h 20 m servings 339 cals
- Combine brown sugar, salt, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, white sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl until evenly mixed. Rub spice mixture over pork. Cover pork with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Place the pork into a slow cooker and add enough water to just cover the pork. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Transfer pork to a large bowl and shred with 2 forks; discard any bone, skin, and excess fat. Drain and reserve cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Return shredded pork to the slow cooker and stir in barbeque sauce.
- Reduce heat to Low and cook for 2 more hours. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten the pork to taste.
- Cook's Note:
- To cook in the oven, place pork into a 9x13-inch glass baking dish, fat-side up. Add a little water to keep the pork moist. Bake in the oven until very tender, about 5 hours.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 339 calories; 17.4 g fat; 26 g carbohydrates; 18.8 g protein; 72 mg cholesterol; 1319 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Omit the WATER! Instead use broth, cider, soda- anything but water. Water pulls out all of the flavor and juices out of meat. (Just think, which is better, boiled chicken or grilled chicken?...
Yummy really yummy. I left my 7lb pork shoulder in the crock pot on low for almost 12 hours. It feel apart with just one touch and was full of flavor even before I put the bbq sauce in. I served...
I did use apple juice instead of water. That was all I had. It is an excellent recipe. Wonderful flavour and very tender.
Really loved it! I did tweak it a little but followed pretty close. Scored a pork loin then added rub all over, wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the frig for 24 hours, then browned i...
I’m giving this five stars, but I tweaked it. I don’t follow recipes exactly! I did not use the white sugar & up’d the brown sugar. I rarely measure things! Seasonings were up’d too. I cooked th...
I made this for Super Bowl Sunday last weekend. I seasoned and left in the fridge overnight. Other reviews suggested using apple juice instead of water - so that's what I did. It just fell ap...
this was so good. my picky kids loved it! I'll definitely pass this along!!