Ingredients8 h 25 m servings 289 cals
- Beat butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer until pale yellow and creamy. Gradually add 2 cups flour to butter mixture until the dough is too thick for the mixer. Stir remaining 2 cups flour into the butter mixture by hand and knead until dough falls off hands easily. Roll dough into a ball, place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Stir walnuts and sugar together in a bowl. Pour milk into walnut mixture and stir to form a paste.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface and roll to desired thickness. Cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place about 1 teaspoon walnut filling in the center of each square. Roll the dough from 1 corner to the other corner around the walnut filling and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until light brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You can add different types of nuts and jams inside the cookie, such as prunes, apricots, poppy seeds, etc.
- The number of servings depends on how thin or thick you roll the dough and how large or small you make the squares; each is personal preference.
- Don't spend too much time 'playing' with the dough because it will get sticky and melt some. Keep the dough you are not using refrigerated.
Per Serving: 289 calories; 23 g fat; 18.3 g carbohydrates; 4.4 g protein; 41 mg cholesterol; 111 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Just made 'em. Nothing wrong with this recipe, but it's not for beginners. It helps to have someone show you if you're not used to working with this kind of dough. It's the standard old-country ...
This dough was the easiest kifli dough I ever worked with, and I made kifli over half a dozen times.. The dough was never ever too sticky. These made very nice, puffy cookies!
These are great! I used a jelly glass to cut them after rolling. Instead of the walnut filling (which I will try next time), I used Solo canned cake and pastry filling (strawberry) and rolled t...