Ingredients1 h servings 568 cals
- Place apples in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; remove from heat. Stir flour into melted butter until smooth. Return saucepan to low heat; stir in brown sugar, white sugar, and water until sugars dissolve and mixture is smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir mixture until boiling. Reduce heat to low and add apples. Simmer mixture until apples are cooked but slightly tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Dip bread slices into egg mixture until completely coated.
- Grease heated griddle with frozen butter. Cook dipped bread slices on the hot buttered griddle until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining frozen butter and dipped bread. Serve French toast with apple mixture ladled over top.
- Cook's Note:
- For varied textures, use more than one kind of apple. Depending on what variety of apple you use, time for cooking will differ.
Per Serving: 568 calories; 30.8 g fat; 62.5 g carbohydrates; 12.4 g protein; 271 mg cholesterol; 635 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
As it is written this is pretty good but VERY sweet. If I were to make it again I would cut the sugar by at least half. Also I would add some cinnamon to the apples. The 'syrup' is very thic...
We all loved it! Very sweet though. I used a small amount to make it perfect of my french toast. My greedy sister and mother used the whole rest of the sauce for theirs. Which was suppose to...