Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 108
Original recipe yields 15 servings (15 sopes)
- Combine masa harina, flour, and salt in a bowl. Stir water and egg into the masa mixture; add melted shortening and mix well to form dough.
- Gently knead dough until moist but retains shape; transfer to a bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide chilled dough into 15 portions. Roll 1 portion of dough into a ball, while keeping remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying. On a lightly floured work surface, pat ball into a 3-inch round. Pinch along the edges of the round to make a ridge. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Pour enough oil into a skillet to be about 1/2-inch deep; heat to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Fry a couple shells in hot oil at a time until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove sopes from oil using a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towel. Add more oil as needed and reheat between batches.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- They can be frozen after being fried. Let sopes cool, then place them in a single layer in an airtight container. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, place sopes on baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until heated through.
Per Serving: 108 calories; 7.1 9.9 1.6 12 83 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I don't think this dish is sopes. Sopes are made from corn masa and you fry them. My family did not like this recipe.