Nancy's Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 238
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to be about 3/4-inch deep. Lie squash halves into the water with the cut side facing up.
- Roast in preheated oven until a fork easily pierces through the flesh, 45 to 50 minutes; Remove from oven and flip squash; let cool enough to handle.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute shallots in hot butter until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour 3 to 5 cups chicken stock into the pot; stir. Add apples to the stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the apples are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape the flesh from the butternut squash, finishing with a spoon to get the last bits away from the skin; add to the simmering stock. Add remaining 3 cups stock to the pot, bring mixture to a simmer, and continue to cook until everything is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Cook's Note:
- When leaving the soup chunky, I cut the pieces small and use more stock.
- In place of chicken stock, I like to use Better than Bouillon® Reduced Sodium Organic Chicken Base from Costco®. I use about 2 heaping spoonfuls, but adjust to your taste.
Per Serving: 238 calories; 5.7 49.4 4.6 13 872 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Excellent soup! I roasted the squash, added apple cider and pumpkin, plenty of carrots and heavy cream. It was incredible! Sent some to my brother in law who was ill. My family went crazy for t...
Easy and delicious. Since I am vegetarian, I substituted veggie broth for the chicken broth. The soup was a real hit on a cold winter day.
I'm at least an 80/20 Paleo eater and this was a super treat even in the summer. I followed the recipe closely and it was easy to make and delicious to eat. Of course, no sour cream for me, but...
Tasty, thick soup. More like a bisque. Next time I will try the optional white wine. Maybe sherry? It was just fine without it. Could save time by buying pre-chopped veggies.