Holly's Texas Brisket
Ingredients12 h 30 m servings 391
- Preheat grill for medium-low heat or 270 degrees F (132 degrees C), and lightly oil the grate.
- Whisk chili powder, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, and dry mustard together in a small bowl to create the dry rub.
- Pierce fatty side of the brisket with a knife about 50 times. Sprinkle 1/2 the dry rub generously over the lean side of the brisket. Turn meat over and sprinkle remaining 1/2 the dry rub over the fatty side, rubbing into the pierced fat.
- Cook brisket, uncovered and fatty-side up, on the preheated grill for 4 hours. Transfer brisket to a roasting pan and cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 270 degrees F (132 degrees C).
- Cook in the preheated oven until meat is tender and pulls easily away from the side of the brisket, about 8 more hours. Let meat rest 30 minutes before slicing.
- Cook's Note:
- I like to oven-cook my brisket overnight the day before, let the brisket cool off completely, refrigerate it until needed, and then slice it. Slicing the meat cold is so easy. Put the sliced meat back into the pan with the juices with most of the fat removed. Reheat the sliced meat in the juices at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for about 1 hour.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 391 calories; 31.5 1.9 23.5 93 316 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
My brisket was a little shy of 4 pounds and I used the full ingredient list. I used a smoker instead of the grill and did 10 hours in the smoker and 2 hours in the oven. It wasn't fall apart ten...
Wow! Absolutely delicious brisket!!! I started with a 10 lb. prime brisket. Prepared the rub exactly as stated, coated the meat completely, and placed it in my covered roasting pan (my grill ...
Great rub! Used a 12 lb brisket, smoked for 5 hrs and kept in the over for 7. Will tent the foil in the oven next time to keep more moisture in, but meat was still tender and broke apart fairl...