Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with Italian Meringue Frosting
Egg Farmers of Ontario
Ingredients35 m servings 86 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 24 mini muffin cups or line with paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake and pastry flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, egg, food colouring and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and whisk until smooth and well-combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until toothpick in centre comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Italian Meringue Frosting: In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let mixture boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. While beating, add the hot sugar syrup in a steady stream and beat for about 5 minutes or until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with gold flakes or sugar as desired.
- Once frosted, store cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days or frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- If you don't have buttermilk, sour milk easily to use as a substitute. For this recipe stir together 1/2 cup milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice and let stand for a few minutes before using to thicken.
Per Serving: 86 calories; 2.3 g fat; 15 g carbohydrates; 1.5 g protein; 13 mg cholesterol; 50 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I substituted butter for oil bcos ran out of butter, so it was a little dry. Though I wonder if it'd be moist with butter. I made 8 regular sized cupcakes with the recipe, which I followed most ...