Ingredients8 h 50 m servings 439
- Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil into a slow cooker and arrange sliced onion over oil. Place pork roast over onion.
- Cook on Low until pork is very tender, 8 to 9 hours. Transfer roast to a platter and discard onion and liquid. Shred pork with two forks.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat; cook and stir chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add shredded pork, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper; stir well. Cover and simmer until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- To make a more diabetic friendly version, use 2 tablespoons Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend and 1/4 cup molasses with an additional tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Not sugar-free, but much lower!
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 439 calories; 32 16.2 22.6 97 2148 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I typically prefer my pulled pork with the sauce on the side but this was really good. The red pepper flakes are optional but I highly recommend using them. Thanks for a great sandwich!
I found the tomato paste was a little too overwhelming for my taste. I probably will not make this again.
The sauce is excellent! I added a heaping tablespoon more brown sugar. it just seemed to need it.
Great recipe. I've stopped looking for a pulled pork recipe after this one!