Chef John's Deviled Shrimp Ragu
Ingredients50 m servings 146 cals
- Place shrimp shells into a saucepan with bay leaf and 1 pinch of smoked paprika over medium-low heat; cook and stir shells until they turn pink, about 5 minutes. Pour in water, bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer shrimp stock for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Mix lemon juice, ketchup, brown sugar, ground chipotle pepper, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, garlic, 1 pinch of salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Strain shrimp stock into a bowl; discard shells and bay leaf. Whisk shrimp stock into ketchup mixture and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat until small wisps of smoke rise from the skillet. Cook shrimp in the hot oil until bottom sides of shrimp are seared and browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in shrimp stock mixture and cook until shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl using a slotted spoon, leaving sauce in skillet.
- Bring sauce to a boil and cook until sauce has reduced and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cold butter, turn off heat, and let residual heat of pan melt butter. Stir until butter has incorporated into sauce and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir shrimp into sauce and toss with chives. Serve shrimp with sauce.
- Serve this shrimp on Chef John's Creamy Corn Custard.
- Cook's Notes:
- To serve with corn custard, unmold a ramekin of corn custard into a deep soup plate, surround with shrimp, place a shrimp on top of the custard, and drizzle with sauce.
- Makes 4 appetizer servings or 2 main dish servings.
Per Serving: 146 calories; 8.6 g fat; 8.2 g carbohydrates; 9.7 g protein; 94 mg cholesterol; 270 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Followed recipe exactly since it was the first time I made it.....chipotle adds a nice kick. Chef John never disappoints. Corn pudding made a nice change from rice or pasta. Great date night mea...
OMG! That was off the charts! Excellent! We loved it!! I did not change a thing! I did not need to!
Where do you come up with these recipes??? i am very grateful! Thank you. Try this.....
This is wonderfully delicious! I served mine over polenta and my husband’s over mashed cauliflower since he eats low carb. Used Splenda brown sugar, smoked paprika and low carb ketchup. We love ...