Chicken with Barley Soup
Carolyn LaLumiere Miller
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 352
- Combine water, chicken thighs, and bay leaves in a large stock pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, place a cover on the pot, and cook at a simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board to cool. Remove and discard bones, skin, and fat from chicken. Cut remaining meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Cool broth until the fat congeals on the surface. Skim and discard fat.
- Return soup to heat; add carrots, celery, onion, pearl barley, bay leaves, chicken bouillon, poultry seasoning, sage, salt, and black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, place cover on the pot, and simmer until the barley is cooked and the vegetables are tender, 60 to 90 minutes. Stir lemon juice into the soup just before serving.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 352 calories; 15.7 25 27.5 85 704 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 53
Very good soup. The change I made was to cook the Barley separate from the soup. Drain & rinse it. If you add it directly to the soup it becomes gummy. The soup is plenty thick doing the Barley ...
The recipe is wonderful as written. It is easy; the ingredients are inexpensive; it is nutritious. The barley is a welcome change to the usual rice or noodles used in chicken soup. What makes i...
Tasty and simple! The only ingredient changes I made were to leave out celery because my husband won't eat it (used celery salt instead) and to add garlic powder. Other than that, I left this ...
This is perfect comfort food on this cold, snowy day. I didn’t have any chicken thighs but had a chicken breast, so I actually started at step 4 of the recipe using my homemade chicken broth. ...
Fantastic contribution to my repetoire. Dishes like this have helped me lose 30 lbs. (so far!). A trick I used was to cook extra batches of celery in the broth. Raw veggies are hard to take a...
This soup is very very good! I followed the tip of cooking the barley separately and then rinsing and adding it to the soup. It does make a difference if you want to get rid of the starch which ...
Very delicious! Used chicken broth and boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Also followed reviewer suggestions to cook the barley separately. Omitted the lemon juice and added a minced garlic cl...
Great recipe! I used a whole roasting chicken so had a lot of meat for the soup. I used about 9 cups of water and a can of low sodium chicken broth. I added some hot pepper flakes too.