Old Country Springerle
Ingredients8 h servings 82
- Beat confectioners' sugar and eggs together in a large bowl until thick.
- Place anise seed in a bowl. Pour water over anise seed into bowl and let mixture sit to steep, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat anise mixture and lemon zest into egg mixture.
- Sift flour and measure again. Sift flour once more together with baking powder. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat until dough forms. Divide dough into flat rounds, wrap each in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough out on a flat surface lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar to 1/4-inch thickness. Roll dough with a springerle roller to shape cookies. Repeat with remaining dough rounds. Cover cut cookies with a towel and let dry for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Transfer to baking sheets.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in batches in the preheated oven until edges are lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 82 calories; 0.6 17.6 1.7 16 27 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
These are exactly like my Mom used to buy! But it was so cool that I could make them myself!
I’ve made these cookies for my husband for over 30 years. I found this recipe last year and he told me these ones finally taste like he remembers from childhood.