Babcha's Meat-Filled Varenyky (Perogies)
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 326
Original recipe yields 24 servings
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain in a sieve or colander and rinse off excess fat with hot water.
- Mash potatoes with milk in a bowl until smooth; stir in onion, garlic, 1 pinch salt, and pepper. Mix ground beef into potato mixture until filling is evenly combined.
- Whisk flour and 4 teaspoons salt together in a deep bowl; stir in 1 cup water and eggs until dough is soft. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts and arrange on a baking sheet; cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll each piece of dough on a floured work surface until thin; cut into rounds using the rim of a large-mouth cup or large cookie cutter.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons filling onto each round. Fold dough over filling creating a 1/2 circle; press edges together, sealing with a dash of water if needed. Arrange varenyky in a single layer on plates and cover with a clean towel.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil; cook 2 to 3 varenyky at a time in boiling water until cooked through and dough is puffed, about 4 minutes. Remove varenyky with a slotted spoon and repeat with remaining varenyky.
You might also like
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 326 calories; 6.6 51.4 14.3 54 430 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1