Chef John's Garlic-Studded Roast Pork
Ingredients12 h 35 m servings 456 cals
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cut about 6 holes per side into pork roast with a sharp knife and insert garlic clove halves into the holes. Rub roast with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season all sides of roast with kosher salt and a generous amount of black pepper, Italian seasoning, rosemary, and cayenne pepper. Place into a roasting pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 3 hours. Turn off the oven with roast inside and leave it to rest for 1 hour. Refrigerate meat overnight.
- Cut cold pork into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If any garlic appears on the cut surface of the meat, pick it out so it doesn't burn. Season slices with salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat and sear pork slices in the hot oil until browned and crusty, about 10 minutes per side.
- Toss lettuce with tomatoes in a bowl and drizzle with red wine vinegar; toss again to coat.
- Heat beans in a saucepan over low heat. Layer about 1/3 cup white beans into a large, shallow soup plate; top beans with a slice of pork shoulder and about 1/4 cup lettuce mixture.
Per Serving: 456 calories; 29.7 g fat; 14.5 g carbohydrates; 30.6 g protein; 104 mg cholesterol; 327 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
Ok, I actually served this during the Super Bowl. Wife said, "Oh my god! I am at a five-star restaurant." My au-pair from S. Africa said it was great ... a 4.5 star. I would give it a 4 only...
Delicious. I was a little nervous trying out a recipe looking for "dry" and "chewy" pork, but everyone raved about the amazing crust, and it really was very moist as well. I didn't have time t...
I was looking for a roast pork recipe "Like Mom Made". I have been looking for a recipe of this type for a long time - and this one is perfect. The key is being very generous with the spices. If...
This is just like Grandma made! The flavor was incredible for such a simple recipe. It will definitely become a regular in our house. Look forward to trying more recipes from Chef John. Thank yo...
I was not surprised at how awesome my roast turned out. I've tried about a dozen of Chef John's recipes and they're always amazing. I used a 7 pound roast and added an extra hour in the oven. Pa...
Great recipe John! I keep messing up when I take the roast out to thaw, so I have had to reduce cooldown times in the fridge to as little as two hours! That said it has been cold when cutting an...
This is the first review I've ever posted here, but I had to rave! I was a little nervous about so few reviews, but every one was so positive I tried this on the mystery roast I found in the fr...
I made this per instructions, but served it on Chef John's "beans & greens" instead of using the salad topper. Excellent flavor - juicy & tender. A keeper for sure! Thanks, CJ! I love YOU and al...