Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients12 h 30 m servings 260 cals
Original recipe yields 16 servings (2 quarts)
- Blend strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice in a food processor until strawberries are coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cup heavy cream, milk, and 3/4 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and allow cream mixture to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks together in a bowl. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Transfer warmed egg mixture back to the saucepan.
- Heat egg yolk mixture over medium heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom of the saucepan, until custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spatula, about 5 minutes.
- Pour remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and set a strainer atop the bowl. Slowly pour custard through strainer and stir. Add vanilla extract and salt. Stir chilled strawberry mixture and chocolate chips into custard.
- Place ice cubes into a large bowl and add water; stir. Place the bowl of strawberry-chocolate mixture into the ice bath and allow mixture to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes; remove bowl from ice bath and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, 8 hours to overnight.
- Pour chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency. Transfer ice cream to a lidded container. Cover surface with plastic wrap and seal. For best results, ice cream should ripen in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Per Serving: 260 calories; 17 g fat; 26.8 g carbohydrates; 3.1 g protein; 119 mg cholesterol; 50 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Delicious! Creamy and flavorful. This may seem like a lot of steps, but it's very easy. I used mini chocolate chips...definite keeper~YUM! Thanks for sharing. :)