Gluten-Free Heart-Friendly Carrot Pancakes
Ingredients40 m servings 81
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor or blender until finely crushed; transfer to a large bowl. Whisk oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cream of tartar, and salt with the walnuts.
- Puree carrots in a food processor; transfer to a separate bowl. Whisk orange juice, water, egg, and walnut oil with the pureed carrots until smooth; stir into the dry ingredients to make a rich and hearty batter. Set batter aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a small amount of canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Tilt skillet to coat cooking surface with oil.
- Stir the batter again with the whisk. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to spoon out the batter, but do not fill the measuring cup. Drop small amounts of the batter into the skillet.
- Cook pancakes until the edges start to look dry, 3 to 5 minutes; turn and continue cooking until the other side is browned, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- I use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- The temperature of the pan should be a slightly lower than what you normally use for pancakes, because you need to cook these pancakes a little longer.
- Smaller pancakes are recommended because they are easier to flip. Finely ground nuts and nut flours can make pancakes sticky.
- The key to cooking these pancakes all the way through to the center is to be patient and think 'well done' on each side without burning it.
Per Serving: 81 calories; 4.4 9.3 2.1 10 165 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I don't need gluten free, but this looked so good. Well, it is!!! I put a dollop of pineapple yogurt that I added some vanilla to and it was just like carrot cake. I will make again and again.