Ingredients3 h 35 m servings 122
- Place oats, molasses, butter, and salt into the bread maker bowl; add the boiling water.
- Measure 1/4 teaspoon sugar into a small cup and set aside. Pour remaining sugar into the oat mixture and stir. Let mixture cool to about 100 degrees F/38 degrees C, about 20 minutes.
- Pour warm water into the reserved sugar in the small cup; add yeast.
- Pour bread flour atop the oat mixture. Pour yeast mixture over the flour.
- Select Dough setting and press start. Check your owner's manual to see how long the kneading lasts, so you can add raisins to the dough 5 minutes before it finishes kneading. Let the bread maker run the full dough cycle, about 1 hour, though it will depend on your machine.
- Grease 2 bread pans.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down dough, but do not knead. Separate into two loaves and place in prepared pans; cover each with a damp towel and allow to rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 122 calories; 1.9 26.7 1.3 4 164 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Excellent molasses flavour and the raisins are a lovely perk in this bread. I am not a very experienced bread baker so I found I had to keep a close eye on the baking time but that was just me…...
This recipe is delicious. I didn't have bread flour, so I used wheat and self rising flour. It is so good, I can't stop eating it.
If you like molasses, you'll like this bread! In spite of several errors on my part, the loaves came out "perfect". I think the recipe bake time is off, though - I had to bake them for 35 minute...
My family is tough to please, and this is the first bread recipe that has gotten a big thumbs up from them, other than Jo's Rosemary Bread from this site. (Mom, quit trying other recipes, just m...
Just like my Grandma used to make. I dont have a bread machine, but made it with the usual bread method. Turned out wonderful