Traditional Appalachian Spoon Bread
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 220
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an oven-proof cast iron Dutch oven or a deep baking dish.
- Heat milk and cornmeal in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Remove cornmeal mixture from heat and stir in butter and 1 teaspoon salt until well combined.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar together in a bowl until smooth; stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Beat egg whites, 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 pinch salt together in a separate bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak. Gently fold egg white mixture into cornmeal mixture until well mixed and fluffy; pour into prepared Dutch oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown with a moist center, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Spoon bread is best baked in a cast iron Dutch oven to ensure even temperature and maximum rise, however you can use any deep baking dish. Be sure to grease the dish for easier clean up! Recipe can be doubled.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 10.1 23.4 9.6 143 515 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This came out perfect. I was looking for this cooked in a cast iron dutch oven. Everyone loved this.