How to Make a Tuna Melt
Ingredients25 m servings 593
- Place tuna into a mixing bowl and lightly break apart with a fork. Add green onion, celery, capers, chile paste, and mayonnaise. Pinch small pieces from mozzarella cheese into the tuna salad and stir to mix. Season with salt and black pepper; refrigerate tuna salad until needed.
- Heat oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread butter generously on both sides of French bread slices.
- Broil buttered bread until golden brown on top, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip bread slices and broil other side until toasted, 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from oven and turn bread slices over on the baking sheet so the darkest sides are on the bottom.
- Gently spread tuna salad onto bread slices using 2 forks. Press the salad onto the bread and spread tuna all the way to the edges of the bread. Spread shredded sharp Cheddar over each sandwich. Dust tops with cayenne pepper.
- Place sandwiches under broiler and cook until cheese is melted and bubbling, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Use a baking dish underneath your sheet pan if you need to move your food slightly closer to the broiler flame.
Per Serving: 593 calories; 39.5 22.9 36.4 82 918 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
I've rated this even though I used what I had on hand - "regular" canned tuna(don't have oil-packed)and used sriracha chili (don't have sambal). I liked the whole capers in the mix, the chile, a...
Delicious!! The first thing I ever ordered in a restaurant was a Tuna Melt when my Piano teacher and her husband took me out to a fancy place. They joked about my ordering a Tuna Melt-but hey I ...
Made this last night. They were REALLY, REALLY good! Didn't have fresh onions, so I used dried minced onions, and substituted Sriracha for the paste. I purchased a whole loaf of french bread so ...
I know the recipe as is would be fantastic because my watered down version was amazing! Substituted chili powder, celery seed, and regular chopped onions, regular sandwich bread, and regular can...
I used this recipe for simple tuna sandwiches. I added one clove of grated garlic and omitted the onion. I only had tuna in water. It was perfect. Sambal & capers. I would have never guessed. Yu...
Easily the best tuna melt I've ever had! Thank you for the recipe!