Rutabaga and Carrot Puff
Ingredients10 h 5 m servings 220
- Combine carrots, rutabaga, onion, chicken stock, 3 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, and nutmeg in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover saucepan with a lid, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables using a slotted spoon to a food processor or blender. Continue to cook remaining broth mixture in saucepan over high heat, stirring constantly, until liquid reduced to about 1 tablespoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reduced broth mixture to vegetables in food processor; blend until very smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Stir eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper into pureed vegetable mixture until evenly combined; spoon into a buttered 6-cup casserole or souffle dish.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in pecans until fragrant and coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread buttered pecans around the edge the vegetable mixture, creating a border. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Bring vegetable mixture to room temperature, about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed, set in the middle, and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 16.3 16.9 4.6 83 784 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This is really good, my whole family really liked (including my 1 year old). Will definitely make again. It is also a perfect addition for a Thanksgiving Day meal.
I made this as written but didn't bake it the next day. It didn't puff up, perhaps because, while I did take it out of the refrigerator in advance, it may have not come up to room temp or the ...