Curried Wheat Berry Salad
Ingredients8 h 55 m servings 469
- Place wheat berries in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Bring 6 cups water and wheat berries to a boil in a saucepan; add 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the wheat berries are tender and have split open, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and rinse wheat berries with cold water.
- Whisk 1/3 cup olive oil, curry powder, parsley, red pepper flakes together in a bowl until dressing is evenly mixed.
- Combine wheat berries, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, and raisins in a bowl. Drizzle dressing over wheat berry mixture; toss to coat and season with salt.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 469 calories; 20.2 66.6 12.4 0 117 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I used coconut oil instead of olive oil for the flavor, added garlic salt and shredded carrots for color and flavor. Turned out pretty good!
Hearty and filling; l used it to accompany a butternut squash soup. I added shredded carrot and finely minced vidalia onion to give it a veggie boost.
This is really good as a warm side dish or warm lunch salad. I used only 1 cup of wheat berries, added grated carrot, and used peanuts and dried peaches instead of sunflower seeds and raisins. I...
Very tasty. I substituted hemp seeds because I had them and thought the dish turned out great. Will certainly make this again.
This was a great recipe. I cooked the wheat berries a day ahead and refrigerated them until the day of my party. I also added dried mango. Yummy!
I added more curry for personal tastes and used flax oil instead of olive oil for the omega benefits. Tasted great.
I used Red Fife wheat berry's. I left out the raisins and added more spice, kale and red, orange and yellow tiny tim tomatoes. Loved it and will be making it again. Taking it to my staff party.
I liked this. On the spicy side. I only used about 1/2 the raisins and sunflower seeds, to keep it on the lighter side. Will make again!