Old Fashioned Stack Cake
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients17 h servings 447 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 - 9 inch layer cake)
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the eggs, vanilla extract and butter. Using the fingers, mix well, until a firm dough has formed. Wrap in a clean tea towel and chill in the refrigerator 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Turn a 9 inch round baking dish upside down, and lightly grease the surface.
- Pinch off a portion of the dough and roll out into a 9 inch circle approximately 1/3 inch thick. Continue this process with all the dough, making 5 to 7 layers.
- Bake each layer individually in the preheated oven 8 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, place the dried fruit in enough water to cover. Cook until soft and spreadable, but not runny, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the fruit well. Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Stack the layers, spreading equal portions of the fruit mixture between each layer and on top of the final layer. Chill in the refrigerator 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
Per Serving: 447 calories; 9.9 g fat; 84.5 g carbohydrates; 7.2 g protein; 82 mg cholesterol; 353 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Fantastic! I am SO tired of seeing stack cake recipes that aren't true stack cakes! This one has it all, thin layers and great filling ideas. I tried it with apples and currants but as Jeanie...