How To Make Focaccia
Ingredients3 h servings 218 cals
- Whisk yeast with warm water in a mixing bowl; whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, semolina flour, and 2 teaspoons rosemary until thoroughly combined. Mix in 2 1/2 cups bread flour, using a wooden spoon, until dough is too stiff and sticky to mix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Knead, dusting with remaining 1/4 cup bread flour as needed, until dough is soft, smooth, and slightly elastic, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drizzle dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil, spreading oil over the dough. Knead briefly, about 2 minutes, to incorporate olive oil. Repeat with 1 more tablespoon oil. Knead 2 or 3 more minutes to incorporate olive oil. Drizzle dough with 1 more tablespoon oil and knead in as before. If dough seems too sticky, knead in a little more flour. Knead until dough is soft, smooth, and elastic, 1 to 2 more minutes (7 to 8 minutes total kneading time).
- Drizzle 1 more tablespoon olive oil into a large bowl, place dough into bowl, and turn dough in bowl several times to coat with oil. Cover bowl with aluminum foil and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Coat a sheet pan lightly with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Turn dough into pan and press gently into a rough rectangular shape using your fingers, pressing out air bubbles. Cover sheet pan loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 15 to 20 minutes to relax the gluten.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon more olive oil onto the dough, spread oil onto dough, and poke 3 or 4 oil-covered fingers deeply into the dough to make dimples all over the surface. Poke holes all the way down to the bottom of the pan. Fill in any spaces with holes until entire surface is covered with dimples. Let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons minced rosemary over top of dough. Drizzle 1 more tablespoon olive oil onto the surface of the dough and brush on very lightly to avoid moving the rosemary. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until focaccia loaf is lightly golden brown, about 15 minutes. Brush 1 last tablespoon olive oil onto the loaf. Transfer to a rack and let cool before cutting.
- Chef's Notes:
- As with all dough recipes, you may need a little less or little more flour. The total weight I added was about 12 ounces. This will work with just all-purpose flour, but I prefer the bread flour and semolina.
- There are dozens of different and delicious toppings with which to accessorize your slab. A few of my favorites would be chopped olives, caramelized onions, and sliced grapes.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 21.2 g fat; 5.6 g carbohydrates; 1.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 586 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 27
FANTASTIC! I have to say that I, personally, did not make this, but my mom did and she shared...it was truly amazing. Just like you would get at the Italian bakery. She did say that it was a bit...
Very good Focaccia! I used a very high protein European style bread flour and it was great.I thought before I baked it that the dough was a bit slack. It wasn't. The rise held up nicely with the...
This is an amazingly simple and, I'd say, forgiving recipe. I used fine semolina, instead of semolina flour and the result was great. The bread had a slight bite to it which was amazing. Thinly ...
This was very good! Was easy to make and tasted so elegant. However, it did not keep very well. it tasted chalky after a couple days.
Very nice and authentic tasting. Family loved it. All that olive oil made the difference, the focaccia tasted rich and delicious, I used sea salt in the recipe as well and thought it could hav...
I made this exactly as stated. It is fantastic! Chef John, I so appreciate your videos. You get to the point, but you don't overlook anything and you have a great sense of humor! Loving lear...
It was easy and turned out really great. Just a tad too salty. Ill definitely make this again but of course with a little less salt :)
Check oil...says 6 tbsps. But seems like 9 tbsps if you follow recipe to a T. I stopped adding.