West Coast Trail Cookies
Ingredients42 m servings 172
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flax seed meal, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy; Stir in eggs and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into creamed butter mixture until dough is just combined. Fold oats, chocolate chips, cranberries, coconut, and pumpkin seeds into dough just until evenly combined.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls or drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart; press to flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies in the preheated oven until lightly golden at the edges, about 12 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute half the white flour for whole wheat flour if desired. Wheat germ or oat bran can be used instead of flaxseed meal. I often use sunflower seeds instead of pumpkin seeds for a change up. For an extra boost, replace one egg with 1 tablespoon of chia seed gel. For softer cookies, use quick cooking oats and remove the white sugar.
- Slightly under baking the cookie produces a chewier cookie; cooking them longer will make them crispier and drier. You may need to adjust your oven temperature based on your cookie sheet, oven, or altitude. Do a trial batch and adjust accordingly.
Per Serving: 172 calories; 9.7 20.5 2.5 23 41 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 49
I am pleased to be the first "official" review. This is an awesome cookie recipe that is a must try for all cookie and healthy snack lovers. I had to hide half the batch because the first batch ...
I reviewed this recipe, before it was kitchen approved. Here was my review: I thought these were a good hearty cookie. I liked how they stayed chewy after they cooled. I followed the recipe, exc...
Wonderful cookie recipe - so good that I had to hide them from myself. Only change I made was to use 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 cup butter. The directions on this recipe are excellent. Even...
I cannot stop talking about this awesome cookie recipe, I think this should be in the top 10 cookie recipes on this site. It is a very healthy cookie and you can make it healthier by cutting out...
Here's another 5 star rating! I followed the recipe exactly. It doesn't need any changes, though you could add/subtract any ingredients you wanted to because of what you have on hand. I did e...
Love these cookies. I left out the coconut because I was out of it and instead of a full cup of chocolate chips I added 1/2 cup chocolate and 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. I had to use my KA Mi...
Delicious! :) After talking with westcoastmom, I changed this up slightly just by using pine nuts in place of the sunflower seeds and white chocolate chips in place of the milk/semi sweet. I use...
I only used one cup of brown sugar and no white sugar. I forgot the chocolate chips but they were still amazing!