Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 381
Original recipe yields 6 servings (6 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; stir in onions and saute until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove onions with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Pour water into the saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil. Stir remaining butter, beef bouillon cubes, and chicken bouillon cube into water until dissolved. Stir in beer, garlic, bay leaf, and sauteed onions; season with pepper. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fill oven-proof bowls 3/4 full with soup. Place bowls on a baking tray; top with croutons and shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove baking tray from oven.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Return soup to the oven; broil until cheese is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I used a Canadian Pilsner but obviously you can get creative and use whatever kind of beer you like! I found this to be salty all on its own, so I would taste it before adding any salt. If you have a stock pot large enough, double the recipe and freeze half for a cold winter night.
Per Serving: 381 calories; 27.3 19.7 10.7 63 1031 Full nutrition