Boxing Day Bubble'n'Squeak
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 341 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place the rutabaga in a small saucepan with enough water to cover, bring to a boil, and cook until rutabaga is tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes; drain and mash rutabaga.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat; stir frozen vegetables into boiling water. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes; drain and allow to cool slightly. Chop vegetables finely.
- Stir together the mashed rutabaga, chopped cooked vegetables, and mashed potatoes in a large bowl; set aside.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Reserve bacon fat in the skillet.
- Cook and stir cabbage, red pepper, green pepper, and onion in the same skillet with the bacon fat until tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Stir cabbage mixture into rutabaga mixture; stir in egg and black pepper.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, ladle spoonfuls of the cabbage mixture; fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Serve with the cooked bacon.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can spoon the entire mixture into the skillet and cook until nice and golden brown. This is when this dish will really bubble and squeak for you!
- This dish is often part of a full English breakfast, and will serve up to 8 with the accompanying breakfast choices. We make it the brekkie at this home.
- We serve this dish with a pickle plate including beet pickle, sweet gherkin, pickle onion, and picallili or green tomato relish. The choice of sauce is always hotly debated at our house: some like red sauce (catsup) and others brown sauce (HP type sauce). Excellent, simple family brunch recipe that really creates tradition. Children love the name and listening to it cook.
- Editor's Note:
- This dish is customarily made with leftover cooked vegetables. Cooking instructions are provided in case you do not have them on hand.
Per Serving: 341 calories; 10.4 g fat; 48.5 g carbohydrates; 15.6 g protein; 70 mg cholesterol; 972 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1