In case you haven't noticed, it's zucchini season. It's everywhere, it's cheap, and it's plentiful. My garden is overrun with zucchini, what about you? Here's an easy way to make a zesty, satisfying side dish, perfect for a festive Labor Day celebration. We had this dish frequently in the summer growing up. The joy of growing up Mexican!

Gallery

Recipe Summary

prep:
20 mins
cook:
20 mins
total:
40 mins
Servings:
8
Yield:
8 servings
Advertisement

Ingredients

8
Original recipe yields 8 servings
The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified
Ingredient Checklist

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 5 minutes.

    Advertisement
  • Stir zucchini and corn into the onion mixture. Cover the skillet and continue cooking until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes more.

  • Pour buttermilk into the skillet. Season the corn mixture with salt and pepper; stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until hot, about 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with Chihuaua cheese.

Cook's Note:

To remove corn kernels from the cob using a Bundt(R) pan, stand the shucked corn cob upright, with the tip of cob placed in the center hole of the Bundt(R) pan. Holding the cob steady, use a sharp knife and make long downward strokes on the cob, separating the kernels from the cob.

Nutrition Facts

147 calories; protein 6.7g 13% DV; carbohydrates 23.4g 8% DV; fat 4.6g 7% DV; cholesterol 6.8mg 2% DV; sodium 109.7mg 4% DV. Full Nutrition

Reviews (4)

Read More Reviews

Most helpful positive review

Rating: 4 stars
08/08/2016
I liked this a lot. I did sub cheddar for the Chihuahua cheese since it is what I had in the house. I'll be making this one again. Read More
5 Ratings
  • 5 star values: 2
  • 4 star values: 3
  • 3 star values: 0
  • 2 star values: 0
  • 1 star values: 0
Rating: 4 stars
04/11/2016
The Chihuaua cheese was optional so I used Mozz instead and also used season salt in place of regular salt. Great recipe and one that would be a great side dish for many different things! Read More
Rating: 4 stars
03/14/2014
This was OK. My Mexican hubby gave it a 60% compared to his Moms. She has passed away and I can't ask her for the other 40%:( I think I did something wrong since I added the buttermilk and it separated was that supposed to happen? HHMM. I'm sorry Muy Bueno Read More
Rating: 4 stars
08/08/2016
I liked this a lot. I did sub cheddar for the Chihuahua cheese since it is what I had in the house. I'll be making this one again. Read More
Advertisement
Rating: 5 stars
07/12/2015
My family loved this. We used all the butter added a little garlic but no other changes. Daughter wanted leftovers for her lunch salad. Will make again and will probably add a red pepper for color Read More