Ingredients8 h 30 m servings 303
- Season flour with salt and freshly ground black pepper in a container with a lid. Dredge chicken pieces in the flour to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir chicken in hot oil until browned completely, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Put browned chicken pieces in the slow cooker.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, and Thai chile pepper; continue to cook and stir until the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour white wine over the onion mixture; cook at a simmer until the liquid reduces, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir chicken stock, butternut squash, thyme, and bay leaves into the chicken mixture in the slow cooker, assuring solids are all submerged in liquid.
- Cook on Low for 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours. Stir sour cream into the stew and season with salt and pepper; continue cooking another 30 minutes. Stir parsley into the stew.
- Cook's Note:
- Some chiles are hotter than others. I have made this with jalapenos and Thai chiles. My husband loves the Thai chiles, but I found it a little too hot! A good compromise is 1 jalapeno and 1 Thai chili both with seeds and membranes removed. Remember to wear gloves when preparing chile peppers!
Per Serving: 303 calories; 16.4 19.7 15.2 50 223 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I made this recipe exactly as stated without the peppers. I subbed in some a teaspoon of chili beak chili oil and the heat was perfect. My problem with the recipe is the cook time. It is way too...
First, let me say this recipe is delicious! I don't have any chili peppers so I added a spritz of hot sauce and Worstershire sauce to add some savory flavor. I also added spinach for additional ...
I added mushrooms and crushed heirloom tomatoes to add texture and flavor. Served with a side of fresh sopapillas with honey. A perfect fall meal!
Sorry, but this was just too plain for us. I'd rather have done something else with the chicken thighs and squash.