Hot Wheels Pasta
Ingredients45 m servings 269
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Place heavy skillet over medium heat and pour olive oil into hot skillet; add green onions and anchovy fillet. Cook and stir until anchovy breaks down and green onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic to skillet and cook until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Stir zucchini into green onion mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini slices just start to become tender, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper; cook until zucchini centers start to change color to slightly green, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce and chicken stock into skillet. Reduce heat to low; add sugar. Mix jalapeno, Fresno, yellow mini pepper, and orange mini pepper rings into mixture. Bring sauce to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Pour rotelle pasta into boiling water and cook, stirring often, until pasta is still slightly firm, about 7 minutes. Drain and let pasta stand for 2 minutes.
- Bring sauce to a boil; stir in rotelle pasta. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until pasta, zucchini, and peppers are tender, 2 to 3 more minutes. Taste and adjust levels of salt and black pepper. Mix in about 1 1/2 teaspoon parsley. Serve in bowls and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon parsley.
- Cook's Notes:
- To prepare peppers: Cut into thin slices; most of the pepper seeds will fall out. Push centers with seeds out of rings. Drain rings in cold water and most of the remaining seeds will wash away and sink to the bottom.
- To prepare zucchini: Use the channel knife on the side of a zester (a small metal piece sticking out of the flat portion of the zester) to cut strips of peel from the zucchini, leaving stripes of peeled and unpeeled zucchini. Slice into wheels.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 269 calories; 8.7 42.4 9.6 2 876 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I fell in love with this recipe. I've made it twice now, and plan on making it a third time tomorrow. Changes I've made are as follows: -after trying it the first time, I now leave out the ancho...
We found this to be an enjoyable low calorie meal, but I thought the sweet and spicy flavors would be more bold. Tasted most strongly of canned tomato sauce, but the zucchini, peppers, and past...