Homemade Sweet Zucchini Relish
Ingredients10 h 50 m servings 20
- Run zucchini, red bell pepper, and onions through a meat grinder. Transfer ground zucchini mixture to a large bowl; sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate zucchini mixture, overnight or at least 10 hours.
- Pour zucchini mixture into a large pot; add sugar, vinegar, celery seed, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir cornstarch into mixture; continue boiling until thickened, about 5 more minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack relish into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
Per Serving: 20 calories; 0 5 0.1 0 110 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Agreed, after sitting overnight....rinse and sieve the zucchini/onion mixture twice. Of note similar process with a cucumber relish I make...I bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Mix spices tog...
One step is missing. After removing the mix from the refrigerator: Pour into a collinder. Drain. Rinse. Drain. THEN...transfer then into a large pot on the stove. Also, when I add the cornstarch...
Love this relish. I put it on scrambled eggs or just about anything. Delish
Delicious....I left out the nutmeg, just a personal preference. I will definitely make it again