Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 3 m servings 246
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, 3 tablespoons matcha powder, and baking powder together 3 times in a bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl using an electric mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl using a clean beaters until very light. Add 1/2 cup sugar and sour cream; beat until light. Beat in flour mixture and milk until smooth. Fold in the egg whites. Smooth batter evenly over the prepared sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 8 minutes.
- Trim any uneven edges off the cake. Roll cake up in the parchment starting from the short side. Place on a rack and cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1 tablespoon matcha powder and 1 tablespoon sugar gradually, continuing to beat until stiff.
- Unroll the cake and spread whipped cream over the top. Roll the cake up, peeling the parchment away and discarding it. Refrigerate cake roll for 1 hour before slicing.
- Cook's Notes:
- A blend of 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch may be substituted for the cake flour and will not need to be sifted.
- You can find matcha powder in Asian grocery stores and online.
- You can use 1% or skim milk.
- Make sure cake is still hot during the first roll.
Per Serving: 246 calories; 14.1 26.8 4.1 91 82 Full nutrition